DJs and the mixtape were the heartbeat of hip-hop from the very beginning. And if there is any name you should learn from this week of obsessive hip-hop themed posts its DJ Kool Herc.
He is the big daddy of everything hip hop: mixing, scratching, looping, breakbeats, and even helped coin the term “b-boy”. Kool Herc is the foundation for pretty much anything you hear today, so anytime you rock out to any produced music, think of this man.
- <Vidar> not a damn peep outta her
- <Vidar> "are you enjoying yourself?" "yeah" "cause you look bored to death" "ok"
- <Vidar> it was like dating rainman
- DKnip87: god i love donuts
- DKnip87: i couldn't love a human baby as much as i love donuts
It’s not just about the top-40 stuff all over KISS FM, it’s about sending a message, good flows, beatboxing, sick words to sick beats, and poetry about everything and anything: politics, love, the police, fast cars, how awesome you are, burgers, etc.
Ahahhaha, she’s actually talking about her churro chips… gg
- Palestinian man to British artist Banksy during his 2005 West Bank project where he stenciled his artwork along the
425-mile long barrier 5-mile wall (thanks, Ronen!) between the Isralei and Palestinian territories.
This is my one obligatory Banksy post, haha. But really, his work is both brilliant and subversive and it deftly performs what art is supposed to do: make you think.